Our commitment to comprehensive care for depression means that we are prepared to provide you with the type, level, duration, and intensity of services that will best meet your needs.
Learn more about depression treatment at Longleaf Hospital in Alexandria, LA
Throughout life, everyone experiences ups and downs from time to time, but if your days have become filled with feelings of emptiness and hopelessness about the future, then you may be suffering from depression. Depressive disorders are mental health conditions that are characterized by profound sadness, fatigue, and a lack of interest in activities and people that were once important to you.
Depression is not just a short-term bout of “the blues”. Rather, it affects how a person feels, thinks, and behaves on a constant basis. In addition to the day-to-day symptoms, children, adolescents, teens, and adults with severe depression can end up developing long-term physical and psychological problems that can make it almost impossible to maintain a normal routine.
While suffering from depression can make it difficult to achieve a positive outlook, know that you are not alone and that there is hope for a brighter future in the form of support from a qualified clinic, hospital, or center. The inpatient treatment program at Longleaf Hospital located in Alexandria, Louisiana is here to help you overcome your depression and regain control of your life. Staffed by a team of knowledgeable, compassionate professionals, Longleaf will provide you or a loved one with the finest, scientifically-validated treatment for depression available.
Helping a loved one get treatment for depression
Seeing someone you know and love struggle with depression can cause you a great amount of sadness and concern. You likely know that they need professional help, but you may be unsure how to approach the situation. As you begin considering ways to encourage your loved one to enter treatment, please consider the following:
- First and foremost, you should take the time to educate yourself as much as possible about depression so that you can gain a better understanding of what your loved one is going through.
- Take the time to research treatment options and possible treatment centers or clinics in your loved one’s area so that you can be ready to help that person take the first step toward recovery.
- If your adolescent or teen is struggling with depression, locate treatment centers that offer programming designed to suit this age group, and that understand the way that depression may affect young people differently than adults.
- When you do approach your loved one about your concerns, be sure to listen attentively to them.
- Remember to keep the focus of the conversation on your loved one, and maintain a position of empathy and support.
In addition to talking to your family member and supporting him or her, you also need to take the time to take care of yourself. Locate community support groups or reach out to a therapist for yourself so that you can process your own emotions surrounding your loved one’s disorder. Doing this will allow you to be better equipped to help your loved one navigate the treatment process.
Why consider treatment for depression at Longleaf Hospital in Alexandria, LA
Without proper treatment, depression will likely only get worse and will cause even more negative consequences in your life. Adults and adolescents who struggle with depression can lose the ability to function at home, work, or school, and they may lose interest in activities they once enjoyed. As the depression worsens, work or school productivity begins to further decline, and may eventually lead to job loss or dropping out of school. Your days may be filled with uncomfortable emotions such as irritableness, restlessness, and hopelessness that anything will ever get better. In severe cases of depression, this disorder can become so debilitating that you may begin engaging in self-harming behaviors or even attempt to take your own life.
Fortunately, help is available, and inpatient treatment is one of the most effective ways to combat the symptoms of depression. These programs allow you to get away from the everyday stressors of life and focus all of your energy on healing. Most inpatient treatment centers provide an array of services like medication management, individual therapy sessions, group therapy, and family sessions. All of these methods can help you to learn how to navigate your symptoms, learn healthy coping skills, and restore harmony to damaged relationships.
Over the years, Longleaf Hospital has helped many men, women, and children recover from their depression and go on to live the happy lives they deserve. Our staff will work alongside you and your family to help you through your treatment experience and guide you on your journey toward lifelong depression recovery.
Types of depression treatment offered at Longleaf Hospital in Alexandria, LA
Located in Alexandria, LA, Longleaf Hospital is the area’s leading provider of individualized psychiatric care for children, adolescents, teens, and adults who are suffering from depression and a host of other conditions. Having recently completed a full upgrade of clinic facilities in 2015, Longleaf offers a tranquil setting in which to heal. Our hospital is set amongst a peaceful wooded area but is easily accessible off of highway 28 near the Alexandria Coliseum.
At Longleaf Hospital, we seek to provide the highest level of psychiatric care while treating each child, adolescent, and adult. Our program’s mission is to support long-term success for patients both during treatment at this clinic and after they return home. This is accomplished through the work of our expert team of highly qualified mental health and medical staff who are committed to providing dignity in treatment and to empowering patients to lead healthy, productive lives.
Patients who come to Longleaf may be struggling with a wide variety of psychiatric concerns, and treatment for depression will consist of various supports that are tailored to address each patient’s unique strengths and challenges. For adult patients who are struggling with a co-occurring substance use disorder in addition to depression, Longleaf is pleased to provide comprehensive care to address chemical dependencies of many types, including addictions to alcohol, benzodiazepines, heroin, opioids, marijuana, PCP, methamphetamines, cocaine, hallucinogenic, synthetics, and more.
Options for treatment at our clinic span the continuum of care and include several options in order to provide the ideal treatment environment for every patient. We are also proud to offer specialized supports for active and retired military personnel and their dependents.
Upon admission, each patient is thoroughly assessed prior to beginning services at Longleaf, and a personalized plan of care is devised to encourage the most beneficial outcomes possible, no matter what level of care the patient is engaged in.
Short-term acute inpatient care is offered for children age 6 and above, adolescents, adults, and senior adults. In this setting, patients can receive a variety of supportive services designed to help them overcome symptoms of depression, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Rational emotive behavioral therapy (REBT)
- Medically assisted, supervised detoxification programming
- 12-Step based services
- Medical services from nurse practitioners and doctors
In addition to the treatment modalities listed above, all children, adolescents, and adults who seek care at Longleaf will have access to the following therapies:
- Family therapy: Family therapy is offered twice weekly and is designed to engage a patient’s loved ones in his or her recovery journey, to heal damaged relationships, and to increase the functionality of the family unit.
- Group therapy: All patients at Longleaf will have many opportunities to participate in group therapy. Offered daily, this intervention is used to help patients learn from each other, and to combat the sense of isolation that is common amongst those suffering from the symptoms of mental illness, including depression. Group discussions are varied but could include topics such as anger management, impulse control, coping skills, and discharge planning.
- Medication management: If an individual’s symptoms can be effectively treated with prescription medications, our team can include medication management services into his or her personalized treatment plan. All medication decisions will involve the input and consent of the individual in treatment and/or his or her parents or guardians.
- Individual therapy: Master’s level social workers provide this one-on-one service to allow all patients to process issues from the past and present that have contributed to the onset of symptoms of depression. In this private, confidential setting, individuals can discuss the challenges and successes that arise in treatment, and make a plan for continued success after leaving Longleaf.
At Longleaf Hospital, we are proud to have a long history of providing superior service to active duty military members, veterans, and their families. Our military support efforts are led by our medical director, a retired Army colonel who works closely with all military members who heal at Longleaf. We do not have a specialized treatment track for military members, but we ensure that the unique issues and challenges that are experienced by members of the military community are addressed in each patient’s personalized treatment plan, and we place a premium on ensuring that all military-affiliated patients receive the customized care that will best prepare them for long-term success.
In addition to Longleaf Hospital’s acute inpatient care program, the partial hospitalization program (PHP) is another option for support that is available to adult patients age 18 and above. PHP at Longleaf, which typically spans a time period of 2 to 6 weeks, has been proven successful in addressing depression. This option is suitable for patients who require a high level of support, but who are able to return to their home environments in the evening.
Programming within this level of care is based on 12-Step ideology, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and motivational interviewing. Medication management is also available within PHP at Longleaf, and patients can meet with a psychiatrist twice per week while in this program. Individual, family and group therapies are also provided, as well as thorough discharge planning.
The least acute option for care for depression at Longleaf Hospital is the intensive outpatient program (IOP). This form of support can be used as a step-down level of care from other programs, or for adults age 18 and above who do not require a higher level of care. Typically lasting 8 to 12 weeks, IOP at Longleaf consists of medication management services and various time-tested therapeutic techniques designed to address symptoms of depression.
Get more information about treatment for depression
The admissions staff at Longleaf is available to speak with referral sources and prospective patients and their families 24/7. Upon contacting Longleaf, a licensed intake counselor can provide an initial assessment, and answer any questions that you may have about healing at our hospital. The decision to seek care for depression may be a difficult one, but the compassionate professional team at Longleaf Hospital in Alexandria, Louisiana, is here to ensure that you find the very best support for yourself or a loved one.